'The Bottom Draw'



As you can see from the header picture, I've already started collecting info and other bits & bobs of useful things for the wedding (despite us not having a date yet), all of which can go in the specific drawer in the house I have exclusively for wedding related items! The 'bottom drawer', according to my Mum, is a classic wedding tradition that's been around for years - a place to store small and useful items in order to keep weddings as frugal and organised as possible.

The idea for this began after a last minute trip to The Cake & Bake Show, which also included access to the Ideal Home Show and Eat & Drink Festival; the whole experience really got my creativity flowing, I started picking up cards and information from businesses I thought may come in handy in the future! I saw fantastic cakes, beautiful decor (including a gigantic white, crochet dream catcher) and I also managed to purchase my first items for the wedding itself! As you can see from the picture, I thought the shell boxes would be perfect for our wedding rings at the ceremony, and still useful for trinkets after the wedding; I got these beautiful boxes from Leaf Gifts and they were only £2 each!

What with being a total control freak when it comes to planning anything, I like doing this. It makes me feel prepared and less anxious, plus it helps us to keep on top of planning, gives us plenty of contact options and most importantly we can look out for the budget a bit more, picking up bargains when we can rather than passing them up. Also, here's a top tip, it turns out that the Christmas period (before, during and after) is actually a great time to find some fab bargains relevant to a nature/woodland theme!

A few bits so far that we have include:
  • Two adorable faux moss rabbit statues (similar
  • Pine cones (two bags of 48 for £2!) 
  • Handmade fairy terrariums (here
  • The ring boxes I mentioned 
  • A light up twig tree (like this one
  • Empty spirit bottles (great vases!)
  • Fairy lights
Some of these things were bought with the intention of using them for the wedding, others we've already had and are choosing to reuse for the wedding, like the twig tree (an old Christmas one that's no longer needed for that purpose). For me, it's super important to reuse/upcycle things for the wedding as not only do I want it to have a personal, handmade touch, but I also want it to be as eco-friendly as possible.

In the future I'll definitely be looking at attending more local fairs/shows to gain inspiration, ideas and glean a tonne of contacts for future reference. Now I have my bottom drawer though, I can find inspiration and pick up useful items wherever I go, including upcoming wedding venue open days in the new year!

Comments

Popular Posts